Thursday, September 13, 2007

Officially Obama!!

If you have followed this blog, or happen to know me personally, you know I am a life-long Democrat. The party is not perfect and I don't follow anything blindly (ask my husband!) However, I am a PERMANENT Democrat. The parties would have to do a 180 for me to change that.

As you can imagine, the last seven years have been rough! Between the 2000 election debacle and the never-ending Iraq war, I was *this* close to giving up on politics. When your country is headed in the WRONG direction, what do you do? I'll tell ya. You feel like a prisoner in your own home and become completely disengaged. I have bounced between both feelings...and yes, I do take it that seriously!

After years of anger and outrage, I realized action was my only choice. Martin Luther King, Jr. once quoted Marti Jose with, "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." That sums up my beliefs on everything in life. I have never been one to shut up, only to get "done" in the end. Again, my husband can vouch for me on that one!

When the media started covering the 2008 election (back in 2006!) I knew it was time. I have spent my entire life watching from the sidelines and there was no time like the present to change that. While I enjoy offering commentary, words without action mean nothing. As the cliche goes, "You are either part of the problem or part of the solution."

Mention the Jena Six, Imus/Hip-Hop, Genarlow Wilson or NCLB and you're sure to boil my blood. This country is topsy-turvy if you ask me. The rich get richer (check out this satirical Onion piece) and the poor get killed after unlawful break-ins by COPS.

We need a resolution...and I am convinced Senator Barack Obama is the answer.

I did not make this decision lightly. I started off as a STRONG Clinton supporter. I know what we'd get with Hillary...I mean she's just Bill minus the charisma right? Despite what the conservatives say, I thought she was the one. Then I read Audacity of Hope! If you saw my posts, you know this book really touched me. I think it should be required reading for the voting public. Barack is not a politician, he's a motivator and one of the best sociologist I've read. He knows what he's talking about and has gone to great leangths to analyze our issues and provide reasonable solutions to them. He is not defined or limited by his labels (e.g., Black, newcomer, Democrat, liberal.) This man is the truth and for that reason, I am officially Obama now!

I attended a volunteer meeting this past Saturday. It was not surprising to see dozens of supporters in the Atlanta area (due to a large population of Democrats and minorities.) However, it was surprising to see so much diversity in the room of supporters. The crowd was a mix of generations, colors and even sexual orientation, and we were all there to support our first Black president.

As I walked to my seat, I was greeted by a young Black male. When I first saw him, I assumed his parent forced him to come. I couldn't have been more wrong! This HIGH SCHOOL student was one of our leaders and an official Camp Obama graduate! After local politicians shafted his school--and failed to make promised repairs--this young man took action. After seeing Obama on TV, he was intrigued to learn more and read everything he could find on the senator. He then signed up to help out because, as he said, Barack is the only truth-speaker/seeker out there...and I totally agree!!!

So, for those that aren't too sure about Barack I suggest you watch the videos below and then cop The Audacity of Hope. I promise it will move you...hopefully it will move you to vote for Barack!!

No comments: