Saturday, April 7, 2007

Bratz = Slutz?

Another birthday has come and gone. My daughter is now 8 years old. Diapers and Elmos are long gone. Not surprisingly, she's into playing with dolls. Her favorite being the mildly controversial Bratz kind. I have heard arguments, here and there, from mothers, that these dolls are mini-prostitutes and represent all the wrong things. They blame the dolls for sterotyping and sexualizing women. They say banning Bratz, in their homes, represents taking a stand for "something".

As with Christmas, my daughter received Bratz dolls and related items for her birthday. Do I have a problem with this? Obviously not. I just do not get the debate I guess. All Bratz dolls have decent outfits on. I would not let MY child wear all of them, but, what's the big deal if her doll does? She has themed ones (genie, figure skater, etc.,) and their outfits are far from hookerish.

I also appreciate the diversity of Bratz dolls. Growing up, I had to miss out on a few Barbies because they only came in the White/Blue-eyed/Blonde model and my mom boycotted. I love that I can buy her Black, Hispanic, Asian or White dolls. She has all colors and that's a great thing!

I REALLY don't understand the mothers who ban Bratz but allow Barbie dolls. I grew up with Barbie, turned out fine, and can't see taking issue with Bratz. But I also cannot see placing Barbie on a pedestal and taking issue with Bratz dolls. Barbie's signature get-up was a mini-skirt, halter top and go-go boots. She looked like a 70s hooker!! The Black Barbies had way too much pink and blue going on to look classy and their boobs were sticking way out. She wasn't married to Ken but they shared houses and cars!

The same arguments could be made, against Barbie, as some are making about Bratz dolls. Neither is how I'd want my young daughter to dress or behave. They are supposedly older teens/young women and she's only 8! I'm pretty sure she *gets* that and I'm not worried about her thinking this is what women should look like. I'm her biggest role model and I don't dress like that or wear THAT much makeup. Barbie/Bratz are not role models they are TOYS. My daughter thinks theyare beautiful, but she knows she can't wear makeup until 16ish and that I'm fairly conservative about her clothes (no bikinis or minis.) I suspect the rules I place on her and how I dress/apply makeup will matter more than what doll she plays with.

No comments: