Thursday, April 12, 2007

You can't negate hate....

LOL. The title is my Jesse Jackson ode ;) I got tired of reading the garbage comments on CNN. So here's what I posted....

I find it appalling for anyone to negate this Imus situation or to pass the blame. Imus clearly has a problem with stereotypes and bias towards minorities. He has called a respected journalist “the cleaning lady” and his producer has likened the Williams sisters to animals. Now he calls a triumphant group of women “nappy-headed hos.” There is no righting this wrong.

Over the past few days, I have read about this so called double standard. Apparently, “urban” DJs and rappers use this term all the time. Well I grew up on hip-hop and listen to “urban” radio daily. I have yet to hear “nappy-headed ho.” I would love for someone to provide details on where this term is used. I am not excusing hip-hop; it definitely has its moments of misogyny. But, doesn’t the world? Have we not limited women since forever? Again, I am not excusing the use of words like “ho.” But, I see it from a different perspective. The music represents the culture we (or maybe “they”) live in. It is not always right nor is always wrong. We cannot blame a music genre for the obvious racism and sexism displayed by Imus and his producer. These are grown men who should know better.

In closing, I would like to point out how some trivialize the involvement of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. If people would read beyond sound bites and mishaps, they would see the truth about both men. They have long histories of civil rights activism and involvement with the “little people” in our country. Think what you will about their mistakes or what appears to be a love of fame. But, no one can negate their contributions.

For the record, both of their histories include fighting against misogyny in rap and violence. Additionally, Mr. Sharpton discusses various topics on his daily radio show. I am not an Imus fan but I do listen to Sharpton. I do not agree with everything he says. However, I am certain he discusses the issues your viewers directed him to. Sadly, pointing out the more important “Black problems” shows just what’s wrong here.

No comments: