Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Race Rants #1

For my first issue of Race Rants, I have to call out these Georgians! Now, don't get me wrong, I love Atlanta. I would not have moved here if I didn't. But, that doesn't stop me from being surprised by some of the mess Georgians focus on. It's quite racist and ass-backwards down here. I hear so much about Yankees and how they have "ruined" the city. Well, I for one am THANKFUL for the Yankees. Heaven only knows what Atlanta would be without them!

For those who don't know, the modern day KKK was founded in Stone Mountain, GA, which is a suburb of Atlanta. On any given day, you can drive down any ATL highway and see several cars draped in confederate flags. And yes, they are draped! It seems one flag is not enough. To make SURE we get the point, these hillbillies place SEVERAL flags on their cars. They come in the form of bumper stickers, license plates, waving flags, and pictures taped to windows. If you didn't know better, you would think the civil war is happening right now....perhaps "they" have confused the influx of Blacks (into "their" suburbs) with a new fangled civil war?

These folks are downright crazy with hate for others. Recent news reports have shown everything from pointless declarations of an official language, to efforts asking us to “take back Georgia” by doing things such as; making it a crime to rent to illegals and limiting who a HOMEOWNER can have in their home. While I’ll admit to believing in immigration reform and doing “something” about the issue, I prefer a humanistic approach that will benefit all and not hurt the children. In my humble opinion, most of this stuff stems from shear hatred!

Yet, I was STILL in shock over this story. A high school, in Gainesville, GA, had to remove a flag display honoring diversity. Somehow, this school managed to enroll a diverse student body (most Georgia schools are limited.) To honor that, they placed flags, from all over the world, in front of the school. Officials thought it a wonderful way to pay homage to their students’ beginnings and to spark intelligent conversation for the kids. But, some Georgians didn’t agree. A few thought the American flag was too small and should be taller and much bigger than the others. Some thought this a bad idea because, this IS America. The school was forced to bring the display inside. I think they are all racist pigs!

No comments: