Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Race Rants

Several news stories have prompted me to start the Race Rants. From time-to-time, I will post absurd news stories that show just how alive and kickin' racism and issues of race are.

I grew up in an almost all-white suburb of DC and am happy that I've had friends of all types. But, there is one issue we never truly see eye-to-eye on. RACISM. As a Black American, I have become so in tuned to racism that I see every bit of it. At times, I'm sure; I go overboard and see non-existent racism. But, once life programs you, it's very hard to turn that off. I'm sure I've written some jerk off as a racist when he was simply a jerk! But, how can you blame me?

When I first learned the American history of my people, I became a victim. This didn't happen knowingly or with any bad intention. Schools, seeking to appease complaints, add in those lessons on slavery and civil rights. Parents, seeking to empower, retell the stories of Martin and Malcolm with pride. But, from a child's eyes, those things do little more than announce "you're different and people don't like it."

Throughout my life, I have heard countless stories that do the same. At times, I've been proud of the brother or sister who had the courage to fight for change. But, in the back of my mind, those stories have affirmed that I am different and racism is still alive. So to those who would argue "get over it", I say "IT is very much alive, so how can I do that?" I also say, “With all due respect, why must I get over it but Jews have the right to make the Holocaust a daily discussion?” Jews are allowed to wear that like a badge of honor and we Americans (most of us) sympathize and admire them. I guess the issue boils down to this...the Holocaust didn't happen here and White Americans can say, "WE helped them". But, they don't have that luxury with slavery and Jim Crow. I’m sure a little guilt seeps in and their only defense becomes “get over it.” If only it were so simple!

No comments: