Friday, February 9, 2007

On Speaking Well (or Race Rant #4)

Unless you live under a rock, you have heard the, now infamous, quotes from Senator Biden. Before announcing his own plans to run, Biden commented that Barack Obama was like a “storybook” because he was the first “clean” and “well-spoken” African-American presidential candidate. Of course, as we all know, the entire statement is without fact. But, even worse, patronizing is one of the most common forms of prejudice that we see.

After seeing the reactions from Bill O’Reilly and Glen Beck, I have to assume many do not recognize just what they are doing. As they both turned their problems around and blamed them on Blacks! Both men say they are “afraid” to speak to Blacks because they may offend the overly sensitive. WTF?

Bottom line is this; minorities have to "overcome" our race before we can gain acceptance and that's based on racism and ignorance. When a Black person does something, that doesn't fit the stereotypes, some get surprised and comment. That's what happened with Biden and that's what happens all the time. I can't tell you how many times people have said "you're so well spoken" or some variation of it. Sounds good in text but it's said with a tone that implies I'm extraordinary because I know how to pronounce my words clearly. And sadly a lot of minorities believe that crap too. Blacks are not limited to the jive talkin and shucking that you see in videos and movies! To put the blame on Blacks or other minorities is BS but I guess it makes them sleep better at night.

But since they want to play ignorant, I will explain it for them….I think the difference is the tone and how/when it's said. If I'm singled out (when everyone around me is at the same "level") or if someone puts a ton of emphasis on how great my speech or something minor is (when I'm really not THAT great) I do get the feeling that it's based on stereotypes and it does offend me. Will it offend enough to make me angry? Well it depends. I recognize that everyone has some prejudices (because I'm used to seeing and having them) and I will accept a certain level of this. But, if someone patronizes me over and over again (without me deserving it) that will become an issue. I've had bosses and teachers who start with "well-spoken", on report cards, review forms or when talking about me to others. I would think my work ethic, dedication, knowledge, team work, etc., would come first. Being able to speak properly is not a big deal! Give me credit for my abilities to develop a sound argument or something like that. Saying we “speak well” is not a compliment. It’s a basic need for life.

No comments: