Wednesday, February 7, 2007

On Submission

For many reasons, I’ve been thinking about submission and what it really means for me and my family. Let me start by saying I am not talking about submission that belittles you or forces you to be less than who you are. But submission, in its basic form, is a healthy concept that we should practice more often and encourage in our children.

Many have argued that submission, of any kind, is a religious concept and thus invalid and not worthy of discussion. That is partially true. The infamous "honor and obey" line, as stated in marriage vows, is definitely related to the Bible. But, even in the Bible, submission is not limited to the wife as husbands are commanded to do the same.

In my opinion, God/Paul added these statements to remind us that we are interconnected and meant to live together. We are much more than simple individuals with personal concerns and opinions. We are part of society and our lives have a much greater purpose.

While reading, I came across this quote, “a created universe gives us both meaning and obligation.” And that’s how I view submission. We have an obligation to live beyond our own minds, desires and beliefs. But we cannot do that without submission.

If we allow ourselves to see beyond the wall of power, we may learn something. If we stop defending our way, we may see that we are wrong. If our children learn to obey, they will learn self-discipline. What is wrong with any of that?

No comments: