Saturday, February 24, 2007

Winners & Losers

So here are this week's winners and losers. I didn't see many contenders for the bamas list so I'm leaving that off. Though www.hotghettomess.com and the hoodrats that showed up in Vegas are making me second guess myself!!



WINNERS

Contenders:
The state of Virginia – On Friday, Virginia legislators agreed to apologize for the state’s role in slavery. They expressed “profound regret” for the Virginia’s history. Not sure what any of this means socially. I’m sure a few southern states are watching this story…

Jennifer Hudson – Yes, again. This week she has remained the number #1 celebrity (well next to crazy Brit and Anna.) From American Idol to Barbara Walters, her name was everywhere. Sunday is expected to be a GREAT day for JHud.

Tameka Foster – Ole girl was caught, by paparazzi, cheating on hubby with lil Usher. At 37, and with three kids, she’s reportedly Usher’s fiancĂ©e now. Started out as his stylist awhile back and now…Well I’ll be…

And the winner is…





TAMEKA FOSTER!!
I just can’t get past the come up she made. SMH


LOSERS

Contenders:
Hip-Hop:
We started the week with news of hip-hop artists involved in fights and pandemonium at the allstars events in Vegas. Mid-week, Paula Zahn, of CNN hosted a special titled “Hip-Hop: Art or Poison?” On Friday, I saw Oscar winning group Three Six Mafia’s new video for “Doe Boy Fresh.” SMH…

Britney Spears: Need I say why?

Anna Nicole Smith: Again, need I say why?


And the loser is…

HIP-HOP AND BRITNEY SPEARS
I’m done with the Anna Story! But I can’t pick between hip-hop and Britney. I was rooting for her and hoped she was just young and in pain from her upcoming divorce. But then she went and did this….





And this…






WOW. I really feel for her and her children. I don’t usually care about most of these celebrity stories but…WOW. I am in no position to judge her because I cannot imagine what life is like from inside a fishbowl. But, something is amiss.

Hip-Hop….my love. I used to love you like Common. Back when it took months to *get* the lyrics. Back when the women were classy and empowering. But, these days, I’m falling out of love. I get occasional butterflies when I hear you but I’m getting more bored and offended by you. Perhaps, I’m aging and no longer understand you. But I think you’re out of control and very immature. You’re manufactured and simple-minded now. We have to admit the negativity you are putting into our communities. We have to acknowledge the double-edged sword that created several Black millionaires but, also, gave fodder for bullcrap like Paula Zahn’s special….



No comments: