Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Response to Kenny Eng...

So for my third and FINAL post regarding Kenny Eng, I am responding to his article. Perhaps he, or someone like him, will see this and realize these are crazy "reasons" to hate anyone. Even if they were true, I cannot imagine how they would drive one to *hate* an entire race of people. Given that he's angry over the treatment of Asians, I would definitely expect him to have a better understanding of African-Americans. I mean the guy is Mr. Science and all, so shouldn't his analytical skills be a little better than this?! I would expect an irrefutable article from "Kenny the God".

"Here is a list of reasons why we should discriminate against blacks, starting from the most obvious down to the least obvious"

Did someone request this list? That's my first thought and I definitely feel an equal level of contempt towards AsianWeek for publishing this mess and claiming it was a "mistake." But, seriously, who sits down and writes a list like this? It brings me back to grade school when, so desperate to fit in, we created reasons to dislike someone and spent too much time hating. As an adult, I realize hating is a personal problem.

"Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us."

Do they really? It's amazing that he is able to speak for an entire race of people. Amazing. Has he considered the possibility that his views are common within HIS race, and subsequently, Blacks react in turn? My husband and I do pretty good financially, but the Beauty Supply owners still sweat me like I need to steal barrettes and grease! They start off with an attitude and speak to me like I'm beneath them. I take it in stride because I am used to these types of interactions. Growing up, I got the message that Asians were superior mentally and thus more "acceptable" than Blacks. All the while, African-Americans have provided countless inventions and discoveries to our society. AND, I was an African-American student who always tested in the top 5%. But, I still refused to retaliate with hatred.

There is a longstanding history of issues between Blacks and Asians. I will not claim to know the origin of these problems, but I know they exist. Part of me thinks it comes from the stereotypes Blacks have fought for hundreds of years. As I have seen/heard similar sentiments from various foreigners. Even my African friends have bought into the negative images of Black America. So, in hopes of making it here, they chose to distance themselves from the unseemly Black folks. Just like the Asian kids I grew up with.

"In my experience, I would say about 90 percent of blacks I have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at the very sight of an Asian."

First, he hasn't met many Black people. Second, is this a Black problem? Or is it a problem stemming from America's history of White Rule? Now, I'm not saying that to push everything on Whites. But, I am saying our country's history still impacts how ALL minorities are viewed and treated. He mentions Rush Hour and Exit Wounds, but who wrote and directed those movies? Not a Black man. What company put those films out? Not a Black one. It would make more sense to bond together and fight those stereotypes than to promote them.

"Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years. It's unbelievable that it took them that long to fight back. On the other hand, we slaughtered the Russians in the Japanese-Russo War."

I don't know where to start here. Let's start with the facts. After the Native American population dwindled, settlers needed someone else to do their work for free. So in 1503, the first African Slaves arrived. They were chattel slaves; which means they were 100% owned by someone else. For 352 years, millions of Africans and African-Americans were forced to build this country, for free, in the worst imaginable conditions. For 352 years, this was all LEGAL.

Following the "emancipation" of slaves, we then had over 100 years of LEGAL discrimination meant to hold us back and prevent growth. Here we were with no defined identity (losing your entire culture can do that), no financial history to build upon and nothing that encouraged a positive self-image. Yet, we are weak-willed for not ending slavery? No, we are STRONG willed for enduring it and having the courage to stand up for ourselves and demand change. We have fought an impossible battle for many years and I am proud of that history.

Do your homework Kenny; we've been fighting back forever! But, we were outnumbered and outgunned. We were in a land where we did not know the language and were forced into illiteracy and inferiority. But, in case you still need proof here's why we are strong: we did the work no one else would/could do, we are alive and kicking after 500+ years of slavery (tangible and institutionalized), Nat Turner, Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X….need I go on?

"Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including Reverend Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians. Yet, at the same time, they spend much of their time whining about how much they hate "the whites that oppressed them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Christianity the religion that the whites forced upon them?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most Asian countries ruled by communism, monarchies and/or dictators? Aren't those same countries known for their interfering governments? Now I don't mean that as a low blow, but…

Had it not been for Christianity, and the belief that there is a greater power out there, I wonder if African-Americans would still exist. True, this religion was "given" to us with our new identity. But, Christianity predates the slave owners who "forced" it on us. So, if something helped us survive, and became a positive and integral part of our new culture, I ask where the problem is?

"Blacks don't get it. I know it's a blunt and crass comment, but it's true. When I was in high school, I recall a class debate in which one half of the class was chosen to defend black slavery and the other half was chosen to defend liberation. Disturbingly, blacks on the prior side viciously defended slavery as well as Christianity. They say if you don't study history, you're condemned to repeat it."

So the class assignment was to debate slavery right? The Black kids, who were pretending to be pro-slavery, did a good job. Where's the problem here? It's very likely those students knew more about slavery than he did. With the limited history we receive in public schools, I think that's a GREAT thing. It shows someone's parents were giving them our history. Kenny's examples showed Black students who knew their history and were able to articulate a clear argument. I do not get his far-reaching conclusion.

"In high school, I only remember one black student ever attending any of my honors and AP courses. And that student was caught cheating."

I attended a Gifted Center from 3-8th grade and honors/AP courses after that. I grew up in a mostly white county, but, over the years, I still encountered more than a few Blacks! Where the hell did he grow up? I will not say I never cheated. That was a common part of the honors culture. Bright, driven kids will always try to outsmart authority and maintain perfection. But, unlike many counterparts, I was never caught ;)

"It is rather troubling that they are treated as heroes, but then again, whites will do anything to defend them."

When are we treated as heroes? When are whites doing ANYTHING to defend us? Sorry, he lost me with that one.

No comments: